Loew’s Kings Theatre opened September 7, 1929 in Brooklyn. The 3,676 seat house was built and operated by the Loew’s Theatres chain. With ornate decor typical of the era, the theatre originally presented shows that combined movies and live vaudeville.
King’s Theatre closed in 1971 and for the next 4 decades was left to rot. Neglect, water damage and vandalism have all taken their toll on this once beautiful building.
However, there is life in the old dog yet. In 2010 The City of New York, (owner of the theater since 1979), decided it fully restore the theatre. One wonders what took them so long to realise it was worth saving.
That aside, the new theatre should be open by the end of 2015, and will accommodate some 250 performances a year.